Monday, August 27, 2012

The Eternal Decrees Of God

 The Bible reveals God as decreeing his will (his 'counsel') before the foundations of the world, and then working 'in time' to carry out that plan. So, rather than presenting God as some kind of maid, who is constantly coming behind us and cleaning up our mess, frantically trying to make it work out to some good purpose, Scripture reveals God as in control: actually decreeing his will and then unfolding it.

Scripture teaches that God’s eternal decrees are unchanging and encompassing all things:
• In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will… Eph 1:11 (God works ALL THINGS according to the counsel of his will! ALL THINGS are unfolding as God has planned and decreed).

• remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, [10] declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’ [11] calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of my counsel from a far country [speaking of Cyrus, who has not yet been born! – Isaiah 45:1-7]. I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed, and I will do it. Isaiah 46:9-11

• The LORD of hosts has sworn: “As I have planned, so shall it be, and as I have purposed, so shall it stand…For the LORD of hosts has purposed, and who will annul it? His hand is stretched out, and who will turn it back? Isaiah 14:24, 27

• Then Job answered the LORD and said: [2] “I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted. Job 42:1-2

• The counsel of the LORD stands forever, the plans of his heart to all generations. Psalm 33:11

We read these verses and feel the awesome power of God, as he declares his own sovereignty over his creation, and his commitment to his own decrees and glory! God is unfolding his great plan that he has preordained for his glory and the eternal good and joy of his people. This gives us assurance and great encouragement, for there is no chance that Satan, creation, or my own mistakes can 'thwart' or destroy the great plans of God.

We are responsible for our actions, and must walk in wisdom, but we do so from a position of trust and security in our God and his unchanging eternal decrees.

Glory to God!

No comments: